Sunday, June 18, 2017

Sunday, June 18, 2018 – Father’s Day Tribute to my Fathers

In honor of Father’s Day I would like to pay tribute to all of my fathers. There have been several fathers in my life. The First was my Father, James E. Johnson Sr. who I never knew. He died in a tragic accident in 1950 when I was only 5 months old. However he left a legacy of love of the Gospel, of hard work and of love for his family. He loved his country and served in WWII. Though I never knew him I have felt his presence by my side many times.  I know I will meet him someday and I hope he will be proud of me for trying to live up to his example.
The next father in my life was Stuart B. Quist. A widower and father of nine, he married my mother, a widow and mother of three to make a new family of twelve children. He was my father all of my teen years and I loved and honored him. He was my example, my teacher and my mentor. He worked tirelessly to support his family and to see that all of his sons went on missions. He loved his country and served in WWII.  He was a great man who loved the gospel and loved his family. An example and legacy I strive to follow.
The Father I have today is Sis. Johnson’s father, James Levi Burk. What a great man and example to me and all of his posterity. He loved his country and served in WWII.  He loves the Gospel, with his wife Betty, (My mother-in-law) they have served half a dozen missions in their senior years and at 89 he is still going strong. I love him like my own father. He is the stalwart patriarch of our great family of about 75 children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. He is loved and cherished by all of his family and all he meets. And most importantly, he is the father of my bride and the love of my life. He and my mother-in-law raised a righteous daughter in Zion and who they entrusted to me 45 years ago.
I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the first and last father in my live. My Heavenly Father, to whom I owe my existence, from whom I’ve received so many blessings, to whom I give thanks for a wonderful life, a beautiful family and to whom I pray that I will be worthy to return to some day. I love and cherish Him all of the fathers in my life. Happy Father’s Day to them and to all of you.

I had a wonderful Father’s day. I got to talk on the phone, “Skype” or “Face Time” with almost all of my family in Arizona and Australia. Sis. Johnson prepared a wonderful Father’s Day meal and invited Elder Kyle Johnson and the other 3 service missionaries he lives with to dinner. She topped that off with apple pie and ice cream, Mmmm-Goood!
I was sick last night with a stomach flu or something so I didn’t go to church this morning. I would have liked to because Elder and Sis. Hutchinson were speaking and I would have love to hear them. Also the YPM’s sang “The Lord’s Prayer” acappella and Sis. Johnson said it was wonderful.  

No comments:

Post a Comment