Monday, May 23, 2016

Monday, May 23, 2016 – Watering Wand, “Rendezvous in Old Nauvoo,” Deer
This morning as Sis. Johnson did her regular Monday watering she got to use her new watering wand for the first time. Last Saturday (Our P-day) we were doing our regular shopping and we came across a watering wand. It was just what she has been needing. The old one had no volume control and it leaked everywhere. She really likes her new wand.

Today’s work on the Visitor’s Center grounds was a little different than usual. When we started work at 7:00am the irrigation system was on in various zones all around the grounds. One of my duties is to see that all of the sprinklers work. So I keep a close watch for malfunctions. This morning I noticed four sprinkler heads that were clogged and not spraying at all.

What should have taken a few minutes to swap out sprinkler heads turned into an hour long fight, it was me against the sprinklers. Well, when the war was over I was soaked head to toe but I won! Irrigation system is working fine again.


Tonight we had our regular performance of “Rendezvous in Old Nauvoo.” I have a speaking part in the production of only four short sentences. Last week one of my fellow cast member suggested I try to speak loader so the people in the back could hear. So, as my part approached I was really thinking about speaking loader. Big mistake, I forgot the order of my lines and flubbed it up pretty bad.  

Before tonight’s performance of “Rendezvous in Old Nauvoo” one of my fellow cast members, Elder Lasher, took me aside and gave me some one-on-one coaching. He taught me how to project my voice as well as how to face the audience while it looks like I’m facing the person I’m really talking to. Then, outside and out of earshot of everyone else, he had me practice it all and very load. All of Elder Lasher’s coaching worked, I got my lines right, they were load and with feeling. Much, much better than last Thursday’s show.
On our way home from our performance we came across two deer next to the road again. And, like before, they think it is a good Idea to run right out in front of us. Luckily the one that was darting out into the road changed its mind. I managed to slow way down and we passed them safely.
 
Every evening we come home late from our performances and play practices. It is right at dusk and the deer are always of great concern to us as we drive home. Sis. Johnson is my second set of eyes as we are always very cautious. This is the fourth time we’ve had to dodge deer.

No comments:

Post a Comment