Saturday, September 30, 2017

Saturday, September 30, 2017 – General Conference, Video Call from Ernie in Australia


Sis. Johnson and I enjoyed watching the Saturday sessions of General Conference on our electronic devices. In spite of the slow internet to our house, we were able to enjoy the Elders and Sister, their messages and their Spirit. As Usual today’s talks and messages were wonderful and very timely.
 
Many years ago I started the practice of taking detailed notes of all of the speakers during each session. I find that writing down brief snips of their messages, thoughts, quotes and their stories helps me recall them later. The thing I do that helps me internalize their messages is to figure out what their core subject is, based on everything they’ve said. Then, in a few days when the printed text of the talk is published on LDS.org I enjoy comparing what I thought the theme of each talk was and compare it with how the speaker himself title his talk. Sometimes the theme and title is easy to figure out and I get it right word for word. Other times I’m a mile off but at least with my note taking I learn a lot and their messages are easier for me to recall from memory. 

 
This evening, like every Saturday evening, Sis. Johnson and I get to video chat on Skype with our son and his two boys who live in Australia. We’ve had this Saturday evening tradition ever since he moved to Australia over three years ago. Skyping our son on Saturday evening works out very well because it is already Sunday morning in Australia. The timing works out very well for all of us. We love the miracle of modern telecommunications.


No comments:

Post a Comment