Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 – Work, Elder Rime’s Heritage Mint Medallion
Today was just another day of work for Sis. Johnson and I.  Sis. Johnson worked in the flower beds and with the planters. She’s been trimming and cleaning them. They look great because they get so much TLC. I used my leaf blower to completely clean the parking lot. I spent the rest of the day spraying weeds.

Elder Rime is the repairman for all things Electrical for FM (Facilities maintenance).  In his civilian life he was a “Journeyman Electrician.”  He is very experienced and is very good at what he does. He is in high demand by FM.


During his repair work on light fixtures here at the Carthage Visitor’s Center he showed me a commemorative coin he bought 12 years ago at a second hand store for $6. I looked it up on the web and the medallion is .999 percent pure silver and is quite valuable. The sculpting on the coin is based on original work by Avard T. Fairbanks; and not more than 10,000 coins were minted by the “Heritage Mint” in pure silver. The commemorative coin has the date “1974” engraved on it. What a treasure Elder and Sis. Rime have. This coin is a real nice piece of history to remember their 18 months of service in the Illinois, Nauvoo Mission.
The front of the coin or “Heads” has the profile of Joseph & Hyrum Smith and says: “THE MARTYRS - JUNE 27, 1844” and “Avard T. Fairbanks 1974”. The back or “Tales” side has an engraving of the Carthage Jail and says “I AM GOING LIKE A LAMB TO THE SLAUGHTER” and “CARTHAGE JAIL” and “HERITAGE MINT.”

7 comments:

  1. Hello,my name is Roberto I am from Kansas City I found this same coin about 3 weeks ago while working I was wondering if I can get a little more information on it? I have searched the web and only found this page with any type of info on the coin,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked it up on the web and the medallion is .999 percent pure silver and is quite valuable. The sculpting on the coin is based on original work by Avard T. Fairbanks; and not more than 10,000 coins were minted by the “Heritage Mint” in pure silver. The commemorative coin has the date “1974” engraved on it.

      Delete
  2. did you get info you were looking for, I have more info

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was trying to find what the coin is worth x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have 2 of them. One is silver. One is gold. Are they worth anything?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have one as well would like to know what it is worth does any one have any kind of knowledge about what its worth.

    ReplyDelete