Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Tuesday, Aug. 9, 2016 – Jacob & Wendy, Police Dept., Vocal Point

We have family! This afternoon our family arrived from Arizona. Our son Jacob his wife Wendy and their 6 children will be spending six days with us. We are sooo very excited to have them with us. Our home in Carthage has an extra bedroom and one and a half baths, so we will have plenty of room for their family. 
During the next 6 days Sis. Johnson and I will still be working as usual but each day after we finish, we will be able to spend the rest of the day with them and visit all of the historic sites in Nauvoo. They will also be able to see grandma & grandpa perform in “Sunset by the Mississippi” tomorrow night and then “Rendezvous in Old Nauvoo” on Thursday night. We are very happy to have family with us.
 
This afternoon I had to run an errand to the Carthage Police Department. My car’s license plate renewal is due in October. Since Illinois doesn’t require emissions tests I can get an “out of state exemption.” So, for the paper work I needed the signature of a police officer to verify I live in Illinois and the car is with me. Officer Che Humphrey signed my form so now I can send in my renewal form to the DMV. 
An interesting thing happened while I was waiting for Officer Humphrey to arrive. I got to talk to the lady at the front desk. Her name is Alice Dean. She told me an interesting and touching story while I waited. She said that this week she was in Nauvoo to watch a performance of “Vocal Point,” Brigham Young University's premiere all male a cappella ensemble. Alice said she liked their music and their performance a lot. 
 
Then Alice told me a story that took place a few years ago in Nauvoo. She and her friend were at the Nauvoo Family Inn and Suites buffet dinner on a Sunday afternoon. In the dining room she noticed the a cappella ensemble “Vocal Point” seated at another table. Alice said, “I’m not shy” so she went over to their table and told them that she and her friend had come to Nauvoo to hear them perform that evening.  The group of men explained that they were sorry but they weren’t performing that Sunday night! But that’s when the magic happened. The whole a cappella ensemble got up, came over and gathered around Alice’s table and began to sing! They sang several of their performance numbers to Alice and her friend right there in the hotel dining room. Alice said she was so impressed that these young men would give her and her friend their own private show. Alice said it was a moment she will always remember and cherish. It also says a lot about the caliber of young men that make up “Vocal Point.”

This week, Sis. Johnson and I, along with our son Jacob and his family will be in Nauvoo and we plan to watch “Vocal Point.” I’m really looking forward to it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment