Sunday, July 10, 2016

Sunday, July 10, 2016 – Visitor’s Center Tour, Lucy Mack Smith home

This morning after our Sunday block of church services I talked to Elder Hyte, 1st Counselor in the Nauvoo Illinois Mission Presidency. I asked Pres. Hyte if the mission had a supply of used PMG “Preach My Gospel” manuals Sis. Johnson & I could use for companion study time. I explained we can’t write notes in the margins of our electronic copy. We’ve decided it would be easier to use the printed version.
Pres. Hyte said yes, there were copies in the Visitor’s Center storage room. I didn’t know what I was getting into but I was pleasantly surprised and literally amazed. He took me down to the basement under the visitor’s center. I didn’t even know there was a basement. On the way to the stacks of used books, he took me on a personal tour of the whole basement. There was not only shelf after shelf of books, manuals, pamphlets, and pass-along cards but a ton more. All of the telecommunications equipment (phone, internet, etc.) was there as well as the security system and alarms. All of the electrical supply, wiring, breakers and conduit converged there. All of the air handlers  for the AC/Furnaces were there along with the necessary duct work. There was even a section where all of the Christmas decorations for the visitor’s center were stored. I got our copies of the PMG Manual and much much more. The tour was fascinating.
After church and the tour of the basement Sis. Johnson and I headed to the Lucy Mack Smith home. This was our Sunday to be the tour guides there from noon until closing at 5:00pm.  Sis. Johnson and I have worked in this historic site before so we were familiar with the history and the key points we would be teaching our guest. Sis. Johnson & I enjoy talking to the visitor and giving the tours.

 
On our way home, Sis. Johnson and I were driving on the “River Road” toward Carthage. We were pleasantly surprised to see a doe with her two fawns walking through the marsh/wetlands of the Mississippi River. I really enjoy the wild life of Central Illinois. Seeing deer in broad daylight was a treat too. Usually we see deer at night and I have to slam on the brakes to avoid them. It happened last night again. It was a close call but we made it without hurting the deer or the car.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment