Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 – Zone Meeting, Poison Ivy all day, Geranium Cuttings, Dinner at Uncle Ronnie’s


This morning we had Zone meeting and it was very good. I particularly liked a comment by our Zone Leader, Elder Hughes. At the end of the meeting he mentioned the Hollywood spectacle and the cinematography that depicts the climax of the movie “Ten Commandments” when Moses stretches forth his staff and parts the Red Sea for the children of Israel to cross on dry ground. Elder Hughes said, “The Red Sea is being parted everyday in Nauvoo, miracles are happening.” It has been a blessing for Sis. Johnson and I to be here and witness some of those miracle.


Today at work our crew started the morning pulling weeds and killing volunteer tree saplings in the Liriope beds at the Visitor’s Center.  I spent most of my time getting rid of Poison Ivy. I was very surprised to come across one of the Liriope beds about half full of Poison Ivy. I put on my protective gear and pulled it out by the handfuls. Some of the runners I was getting up were over six feet long. 


Our next stop was at the office of “Land and Records.” Here too there is a lot of Poison Ivy in the long hedge that borders the parking lot on the north side. Elder Kyle Johnson and Elder Cantwell worked on pulling weeds out of all of the flowerbeds while I focused on all of the Poison Ivy. We came back after lunch and still didn’t finish the job. We will have to come back to “Land and Record” tomorrow because there are so many weeds to pull and there is still a lot of Poison Ivy to get rid of.


While the young service Elders and I were working on the grounds, Sis. Johnson was in the propagation room with the other ladies snipping cuttings off of the parent Geranium plants for rooting. Richard is already preparing for next spring and summer plantings. 


This evening we went out to dinner in Burlington, IA, about 35 minutes north of Nauvoo. We went with our good friends, Elder & Sis. Van Horn and Elder and Sis. Gibson. Since we only have performances twice a week now our evenings have freed up a little so we can go out to eat on occasion.


We ate at a wonderful restaurant named Uncle Ronnie’s. Excellent food and service. I’m still eating soft foods since my oral surgery so I got to eat my favorite, Salmon. Mmmm-Goood!  We enjoyed ourselves and had wonderful conversation with good friends over dinner. It was a very nice evening out.


Before we left for our dinner at Uncle Ronnie’s in Burlington, Sis. Van Horn surprised Sis. Gibson and Sis. Johnson with a framed picture of the Nauvoo Temple she embroidered on her embroidery machine. She has several sewing machines in her house of all types including embroidery.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment