Thursday, September 8, 2016

Thursday, September 8, 2016 – Rain Storm, Darwin & Cheryl Fisher, Corn

We had another big storm roll through Carthage overnight and in the morning. It dumped over an inch and a half of rain on us with high winds. There was a lot of cleanup to do on the grounds around the visitor’s center and jail. We couldn’t start working on the mess until after it stopped raining, about nine this morning.
The first two visitors to arrive for a tour this morning were from St. George UT. Their names were Cheryl & Darwin Fisher. They complemented me on how nice the grounds looked and asked me a lot of questions about how my wife and I got to serve here in the Illinois Nauvoo Mission. It was obvious they were very interested in serving a senior couple mission soon and they wanted to know all about serving here and how to be one of the lucky couples chosen to come to Nauvoo.
 
I am acutely aware that there is a shortage of Senior Couples to serve here and all over the world. I helped quell their fears about serving in the future. I could tell they were warming up to the idea very well. One of their questions was how much per month does it cost a senior couple? I answered their question and also pointed out there is a church website that gives the average monthly expense for a senior couple in every single mission around the world. That’s when I mentioned Sis. Johnson and I also served in the Dominican Republic six years ago. And wow, their eyes lit up.

It turns out that the Fisher’s are friends with a couple named John and Nancy Rappleye, also of St. George UT. The Rappleye’s were among the very first to open the Dominican Republic to missionary work back in 1978. Bro. Fisher told me that the Rappleye’s have been trying to convince them to apply to serve as Temple Missionaries in the Santo Domingo Temple in the Dominican Republic. The Fisher’s would be perfect for the calling; Bro. Fisher served a mission in Mexico in 1963 and he is fluent in Spanish. He and his wife are already Temple workers in the St. George Temple. But there seemed to be one big obstacle for the Fisher’s.

Sis. Fisher doesn’t speak any Spanish and she is very hesitant about serving where she isn’t familiar with the language.  That’s when I told her about Sis. Johnson’s experience with Spanish in the Dominican Republic. I told her that Sis. Johnson never did make the leap of faith to speak Spanish while we served a year and a half in the Dominican Republic. I explained, with study and tutoring Sis. Johnson learned to read and could listen to Spanish with about a 70 to 80% comprehension level! Sis. Johnson was the mission financial secretary in the mission office. She wrote all of the mission checks and paid all of the bills in Spanish. She balanced the mission check book at the end of the month in Spanish. She filled out and submitted all of the various monthly mission reports to the Area offices in Spanish. She handled all of the arriving and departing missionary’s paperwork, their Visa’s & Passports, their letters to their parents, all in Spanish. When native Dominican missionaries came to the mission office and spoke to her in Spanish requesting supplies, turning in reports, asking for reimbursements, reporting landlord problems, etc. it was all done in Spanish.

 I continued to talk to Sis. Fisher for several more minutes. She had questions about living conditions, grocery stores, the water, housing, transportation, etc.  I answered every question she had and when we finished, she said, “I think I can do it, you’ve convinced me I can do it.” She turned to her husband and said; when we get home I think we should start our mission application! 

Now, for those of you who are reading this and are still not convinced, you can have your fears quelled too.  You can get a lot of answers to your questions about senior missionary service in this church publication titled Senior Missionary Opportunities Bulletin:
I encourage you to consider serving a Senior Couple Mission, if not now, then some time in the future. Start planning now. Many blessings await you and your family for your service.

No comments:

Post a Comment